Yam is one of the Ghanaian’s favorite local dishes. It can be eaten with any stew preferred, even sometimes people eat yam with soup but that’s not always. There are different types of yams in Ghana and they all taste great.
Some of the yam varieties in Ghana include; puna, denteh, asana, and serwaa. Most Ghanaians prefer puna but all of these yams taste great. Yams can be boiled, fried, or roasted. There are so many different stews you can use to eat boiled yam; garden eggs stew and nkontomire stew being the most common. But in today’s post, we’ll take a look at boiled yam with egg stew.
Eggs are very healthy foods that are stacked with quality protein. They boost the immune system and also lower the risk of heart diseases, you can check out this post for more on the health benefits of eggs.
Stews take longer to cook than yam. So you can commence with the preparation of the stew first and when it’s almost done, you boil the yam. That is if you have another source of fire but if you are only using one fire source, then finish cooking the stew before boiling your yam.
How to prepare yam and egg stew
To prepare your egg stew, you will need onions, fresh tomatoes, garlic, vegetable oil, spices to taste, ginger, pepper, green bell pepper tomato paste, and, eggs.
To begin, wash all your vegetables in a clean bowl and chop them into smaller quantities. Now blend your ginger, onions, and garlic, remember to leave some of the chopped onions, you will use them for the stew later.
Heat oil in a saucepan and add the chopped onions to it, after a minute or two, add your blended mixture and stir. Wait for about 5mins and add your preferred spices – don’t forget salt and add the tomato paste and stir again. Stir continuously and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
So whiles you are waiting for the stew to be done, get your yam and peel it. Cut it into small pieces and wash it properly. Once you are done, put it in a saucepan and add some water to it and a little salt to taste.
Make sure you add enough water to boil it so that it doesn’t go dry when the yam isn’t done cooking. Now put your yam aside and get back to your stew.
If you see that there is oil on the surface of the stew, it means it’s almost done and that will be the best time to add in your eggs,
Crack eggs in a bowl and whisk them well. Pour the eggs into the stew and wait for about two minutes before stirring the stew. Let it simmer for 5-6mins and your egg stew is ready and you can go ahead to boil your yam for about 15-20 minutes or until it is well cooked.
Yam And Egg Stew
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 medium onions
- 1 green pepper
- 5 large fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium garlic
- 500 g vegetable oil
- 8 fingers pepper
- small ginger
- 1 tuber yam
Preparation of the egg stew
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly and chop them into smaller quantities.
- Pour your vegetables in blender, this includes, the pepper, ginger, garlic, tomato and onions. Don't add the green pepper and also set some of the chopped onions aside to use for the stew.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add the chopped onions to saute.
- Add the blended mixture and stir. Wait for about 5 mins and add your preferred spices- don't forget salt. And add in your tomato paste and stir again.
- Stir continuously and allow it to cook for about 15mins.
- Now crack our eggs in a bowl and whisk them well.
- When you see oil on the surface of the stew, crack your eggs and whisk them properly, then pour them into the stew.
- Wait for about two minutes before you stir the stew again.
- Add your chopped green pepper to the stew
- Let it simmer for about 5-6minutes and your egg stew is ready.
Preparation of the yam
- Peel the yam
- Cut them into your preferred sizes
- Wash thoroughly with water
- Put in a saucepan and add water
- Put the saucepan on the fire and allow it to be well cooked