We all love the shine and lustre of properly cleaned wooden flooring but, unfortunately, many wooden floor cleaners contain toxic chemicals that you may not want in your home, and plain water will not clean the floors and make them shine. But we want to shine as well as dust and germ-free flooring. So how do we achieve it? If you have been struggling to keep the floor shiny and germ-free without using harmful chemicals, you have landed at the right place.
But before we give you some tips let’s have a look at the reasons that make your flooring look dull.
Dirty old mop:
If you have been using a dirty mop your process of cleaning will simply redistribute the dirt. Now just imagine grit, dust, and dirt getting trapped in the cleaning solution and simply staying on the surface of the floor it will only make your floor look dull.
Acrylic based cleaner:
No matter how many advertisements of acrylic-based liquid waxes you see that promise to make your wood floors glow, but the reality is they can actually make the floors look worse after constant use. They make the finish look patchy or turn milky.
Chemicals like chlorine, bleach, ammonia, or pine oil can damage the floor’s look. You must read labels and choose a commercial product that is formulated especially for sealed wooden flooring. You should also follow manufacturer and expert guidelines in this regard.
Excess use of chemicals:
Maybe you are doing everything correctly but using too much cleaning product or water will also leave floors looking worse.
If you don’t finish your work properly for example after damp mopping or waxing a hardwood floor, the job should be finished with a good buffing to prevent streaking if you don’t do so your floor won’t look shiny.
Pets, kids, heals, furniture can leave everlasting scratches. So, Practice a little prevention to stop these scratches.
The wax can build up over a period of time on the floors and they look dull. Maybe you use wax perfectly only once or twice a year, but eventually, it will build up and make the floor look dull.
It is not possible for the hardwood finish to lasts forever if the floor is used. The good news is that solid hardwood floors can be refinished and resealed numerous times before replacing.
How to keep the flooring shiny
- Sweep or dust mop wood floors every day
- Entryways and other areas prone to heavy traffic should be given extra care
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and vegetable oil in a spray bottle and Spray the cleaner onto the wood flooring and clean with the mop. The vinegar helps to remove dirt and the vegetable oil helps to condition the wood shiny and doesn’t let it dry out
- Always mop the floor with a soft cloth mop and the cleaner after dusting
- Wipe the residue off the floor with a clean mop head or soft towel. Drying should be done in circular motion buffs the floor and brings out the shine
- Place a mat right inside the door at the entrance can help with trapping debris before it gets to your hardwood
- Always leave outside shoes at the door
- Don’t drag the furniture on the flooring
- Avoid wearing heels on the wooden floor
- Don’t use any chemical cleaners unless you read the user manual and you know the nature of the flooring.
Cleansing chemicals, hiring cleaning services are secondary; the first thing that ensures the longevity of the flooring is regular upkeep and cleaning.
ALSO: HOW TO MAKE YOUR FLOORS SHINE WITH TIMBER WOOD FLOOR POLISHING
WHY HIRE PROFESSIONALS FOR HARDWOOD FLOORS INSTALLATIONS
Author bio: I am Emma Smith, an experienced and professional blogger. Writing an article on different topics, is my passion and hobby. Here you can see my skills which give you small ideas on understanding all the thoughts with different themes. I love to write the blog on various topics, like home improvement, flooring, business, automotive, health, Lifestyle, Event, etc.